Sunday, February 6, 2011

My Muse Must be on the Steelers' Offense...

Alright, so the Big Game is actually more entertaining than I originally thought, and so no fiction writing will be done tonight after all. I don't have to go in to work until 4pm tomorrow, and so perhaps some writing will happen tomorrow. Most likely won't write anything on Tuesday since I have an appointment after work. Perhaps more writing late in the evening, but probably not.

I'd like to also use this time to announce my official participation in Script Frenzy. The basic idea is to write a 100 page script or screenplay in just the thirty days of April. It is kind of a sister project to NaNoWriMo. This is another event I might participate in, however I might skip out on NaNoWriMo this year - I'll get to that in a moment.

Anyway, back to Script Frenzy. I've been writing scripts for class projects since high school - even going as far back as ad-libbing skits for class reports in middle school. I took a scriptwriting class in college as well as multiple video production classes. I wrote a few local commercials for clients of the production house I used to work for straight out of college. I also have a freelance scriptwriting job with a radio-drama audiobook company. Finally, instead of thinking in words like most prose writers, I think in images and camera angles. All-in-all, even though I'm a storyteller at heart, I believe my medium is more scripting than prose. Therefore, when I saw the link to the Script Frenzy event on the NaNoWriMo website I knew I just HAD to participate! I had to practice my craft. Considering that, back in college, I frequently wrote twenty-some-page scripts within a week or so, I have no fear that I can hit the 100 pages within the month time limit. My biggest concern is figuring out WHAT to write about. I may cheat a little and try to figure out what I'm going to script prior to April 1st. In fact, I debated just re-writing a script I wrote in high school and had been meaning to re-write anyway, but that would be cheating a bit too much, so nevermind! X-P The only real downside is that I will probably not write any chapters at all for my fanfic while working on my script, and so my poor readers will have to wait at least a month for another update - unless I stockpile a chapter to post in April.

Now, going back to my reasoning for not participating in NaNoWriMo this year. Mainly, it is because I'm getting married the first weekend of October. I've been in a long-distance relationship with my boyfriend for over 7 years, and the longest we've had together was about 14 days straight. As of November of this year I think I might still be entranced with the idea of seeing my sweety daily and too pre-occupied to write. Besides that, I'll be moving to a new state right after the wedding and so I'll be getting settled in. Now, the fanfiction I'm currently working on is already at about 23,000 words and I'm not even half way! So hitting the NaNoWriMo goal of 50,000 would be easy for me. The trick is doing so all within the month of November - especially since it's kept me almost half a year just to post THREE CHAPTERS! Who knows, perhaps I'll be able to participate after all, but I'll just focus on Script Frenzy for right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment