Sunday, February 10, 2013

Two Stories? Amazing!

My ninetieth post already!? And boy is it a good one for you guys.

Once again I didn't intend on my "post will be delayed" update to be my ONLY weekly update. Life got MAD CRAZY.

Hubby and I found a new apartment and spent a week transporting everything via packing multiple cars. Our house is in chaos complete with mini-mazes made out of egg boxes we got from the grocery store. We also couldn't get internet in the new apartment until this past Tuesday. Throw in work, the winter storm that came through this weekend, and my sister-in-law's baby shower. My netbook is also pretty much shot, and so I'm only using my desktop once again - meaning no progress during my work breaks any more.

The few moments I was able to find to write I used for my stories. Which means you guys had two in about a week!

First up - as mentioned in my delay post - was my latest chapter of What Is Truly Meant To Be. Another super big thank you to ChibiSunnie for helping me FINALLY get that chapter done! You're a godsend m'darling! Now to keep up the momentum to get the next chapter out before the end of the month! Whoo-boy, the next 18 days are gonna fly by quick, aren't they?

So, after I was finished with the latest chapter and the packing, and moving was more-or-less complete, it was time for me to get cracking on the Valentine's Day contest entry. I tried on multiple occasions this past week to work on both the delayed blog entry and my contest entry. Things didn't go according to plan.

But Friday I was determined. I had one day to work, but I promised myself I would write something for the contest. I started first thing in the morning, but I got stuck in multiple places. So I unpacked the bedroom while I thought. I washed dishes while I thought. I organized the bathroom while I thought. I watched videos to try to inspire me. And thus I wrote off and on for about 17 hrs.

Throughout the day I would send Chibi my story scene by scene to get her opinion. Although the darling woman was still struggling to finish up her own writing entry, she took multiple writing breaks to read my story and give me feedback. Meanwhile, I only gave her feedback on one part at the end of her story. I feel bad about the one-sided-ness of that day.

SORRY, CHIBI! SOOOOO SORRY! I HOPE YOUR STORY TURNED OUT WONDERFUL REGARDLESS!

Actually, I could let you guys know soon enough. She sent me the final draft. I just haven't had time to read anything - with still unpacking and whatnot. Speaking of which, I also have two things to beta-read for DarkAngel1326. First up was a revision to her soldier story, and second is a drabble about her Of Blood and Honor character 33.

I swear, ladies, I will get to your stories this week!

But getting back to my stories.
I've determined that not only do I suck at creating titles - I mean, my Valentine's day story is called The Adventures of Brainy - but I also suck at fight scenes. I had to break out the HeroScape to play out the fight scene for my Script Frenzy screenplay last April. I then struggled again for the fight scene I had in my Valentine's Day story. I'm just not very good. I just can't picture the fight choreography, and so it's hard for me to describe it. Things to focus on improving I guess.

I'm also a bit nervous about how the judges will "grade" my entry this time. I got originality points off last time simply because I purposely wrote the story as if it were an episode - as well as writing a ghost story even though it was specifically listed as a viable option in the rules. I'm still a little irked at both deductions. However, due to me purposely writing my story as a cheesy melodrama, which is where most cliches come from, I'm afraid of again losing originality points. I'm also fearful of losing points for not keeping the characters....in....character. Since the whole story is a dream sequence, much like the Married episode of Hey Arnold, the characters are supposed to act a little different than normal. In the case of Arnold it's REALLY different than normal.

Then again, part of me really doesn't care if my grade is lower than last time. It's a simple story clocking in at about 5,000 words - one of my shorter tales - and I'm proud of it. I guess that's all that matters, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment