Sunday, February 24, 2013

A Minor Focus on Scripts and Other Creativity

Before I get in to the rest of my week, I'd just like to point out an amusing little tidbit about DarkAngel1326 's first installment in her "Stories from the Winds of Hillwood" saga. In my review I playfully accused her of stealing the plot to my two-part story "I Caught You A Star". Well, after my blog post last week, she contacted me to let me know that she had no clue what ChibiSunnie and I were talking about when we commented on the story similarities. It turns out that DA had never read my story! It was just a major coincidence that I wrote a very similar one for V-day two years ago! She has since read the story....
So fret not, Dear Readers, DA thought up her plot all by her lonesome. Just another case of "Great Minds Think Alike".




Also, if you haven't read her story yet, here's the link again: "Stories from the Winds of Hillwood"

I'm not going to lie, I both didn't really do much creatively speaking and did do a lot creatively speaking.

At the beginning of last week a coworker signed up to join the X-Men forum RPG that Hubby runs. He brought his wife and a friend of theirs that they used to play with on a different X-Men RP. So now we have three new players and it's gotten me and Hubby excited about the game. Creativity is starting to flow again for this universe. I can't wait to officially start back up, in the meantime it was fun to re-read what already happened as well as read what the new players have to say - as well as see the cool backstories they each came up with. The coworker and his friend have their characters both speaking with British dialects, so it will be interesting to try to understand the slang they use. Worse comes to worse I guess I could always ask Ali Luke to translate for me.




On Wednesday I had this strong desire to waste the large majority of my morning getting a full plot bunny farm out of my head. Plot bunnies for more stories!? Sadly, no. They were different concepts for a multitude of fan-made music videos using footage from Hey Arnold. Much like my Plot Bunny posts I have here, I wanted one for my FMV ideas. It didn't seem appropriate to include here, so I posted it up on DeviantArt.

The rest of the week was wasted in many hours of Kirby's Epic Yarn. I didn't even do my normal 7hrs straight on Facebook.

However, aside from a small bit that I need to ask DA, Chibi, and possibly even AngelBlood666 for some advice on, I'm more-or-less all set to FINALLY get to working on my next chapter of What Is Truly Meant To Be. I have four days until the end of the month. Even though I've written full stories in 24hr periods, I really don't want to end up doing the same thing for a chapter for this story. People have dedicated too much time and emotion for me to try to rush it. That being said, I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to keep up my New Year Resolution to update monthly. However, considering I used to take anywhere between three and ten months to update, posting a new chapter every OTHER month is still an improvement. We'll see how it goes. I swear I'm not intentionally slacking on this.

Another reason why I might alter my resolution to every other month is that next month starts bi-weekly writing challenges with the Hey Arnold group. These aren't competitions; instead they are like the daily challenges I did back in July. I'm not entirely sure if I'll be participating in all of them, but I'm going to at least try.

The following month is then April! For those who have been following my blog for a little while, you already know that since two years ago April is Script Frenzy Month! It's basically the same thing as NaNo, but it's writing a 100pg script in 30 days. It's even run by the same organization: The Office of Letters and Light. At least, it USED to be run by the same group. Sadly, Script Frenzy didn't get nearly the same reception as the other writing programs that OLL hosts and so they regrettably had to drop the program. What really saddens me is that I didn't have money to purchase any merchandise for the 2012 Script Frenzy and now it's not available for me to ever get....




However, Script Frenzy shall live on in my heart and April will still remain the month where I get crazy and try to write a full script in 30 days. Since it isn't an "official" Script Frenzy I will cheat a little bit this year. Instead of writing a script from scratch I'm going to use the opportunity to work with Chibi to finish up the fanscript for Hey Arnold that we started during our first Script Frenzy.

If you want to have Script Frenzy live on in your hearts as well you could use this golden opportunity to build up your portfolio! Maybe you could even enter one of these contests that Chibi found this week!

The clever girl managed to find a few contests that networks are hosting in order to bring in new talent to their writing staffs! How awesome is that!? The deadline for the Nickelodeon one is this Friday, so it's probably not a possibility for anyone, but it's an annual contest so you might as well get started for next year, right?

Anyway, here's the list. It's also in my Handy Links page - which was updated with a few other websites as well, thanks to DA!
Nickelodeon Writing Program
Disney/ABC Television Writing Program
NBC Early Career Program: Writers On The Verge
WB Writers' Workshop

If you like the idea of writing for a production team and need a bit more help on the actual formatting and the like, you can check out the free-to-download writing software Celtx. I use it for every Script Frenzy and I LOVE the program. There are so many fun toys you can try out! I also have some information on that Handy Links page in the same category as the writing programs listing.

No comments:

Post a Comment