Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Ringing In 2013

Drawn by DeviantArtist Dracu-Teufel666

Okay, well I swear I didn’t intend to have a holiday hiatus.

Drawn by DeviantArtist Pluvias
My INTENTION was to postpone the December 23rd post so I had time to finish last minute Christmas stuff, and then have my belated post Christmas evening; as a way to wish you all a happy holiday. Then Christmas got crazy, I got distracted by a gift Hubby gave me, and I had to get ready for a road trip home to celebrate my cousin’s wedding this past Sunday. Which is why there also wasn’t a blog post on the 30th. Because of the bad snow storm on Saturday, I couldn’t drive down after work like intended, spend the night hanging out with the family and working on this blog post, get up early Sunday to get ready and post this entry, and then go to the ceremony at noon. INSTEAD, I got stuck in a snow bank, carefully traversed through town doing last minute errands, shoveled, went to bed early, got up at 3am to shovel some more, and then left at 4am to do a five-hour drive, arrive at my mom’s with barely enough time for me to get ready, drive to the wedding, and then by the time we got back to my mom’s I crashed.
Drawn by DeviantArtist Korewa13th

So forgive me my past two missed weeks.

Sadly, not having time to write blog posts also meant no free time to write, period. Well, okay, I lied about NO free time, but I’ll get to that in a moment.

The week before Christmas was spent franticly attempting to finish off all the crochet gifts I was making for everyone. The only thing even remotely exciting in the world of writing is that I received an email from Devious.Editor! You guys haven’t heard that name in a WHILE, have you? Well, not only did she want to reassure me that she was still alive, but she also wanted to send me her latest chapter to edit. So those of you who are fans of her story “Fugitive” there should be another chapter up soonish. Unfortunately, I haven’t gotten around to beta reading it yet. But I aim to before this Sunday’s update. We’ll see how that goes.
Drawn by DeviantArtist Pika
So now that the holidays have come and gone, I’ll be working on cleaning house – since that’s been neglected for about two months, finding a new one, and generally relaxing after all the holiday chaos. Part of that relaxing process is going to consist of continuing two new video games, which will hopefully not, but most likely distract me from any creative projects for a little while.

One is celestialTyrant’s game that he’s keeping at our house, and the other is a Christmas gift from Hubby. Sorry about this. Blame them.

The first game is an ADORABLE Wii game called Kirby’s Epic Yarn. I cannot properly describe how amazingly cute this game is without spending an entire post just on that. So instead have a Let’s Play of the opening of the game. OH! And just FYI... Chuggaconroy's commentary is VERY similar to CT's when he plays... so it's also a bit of an insight in to him. :-D


As for the gift from Hubby? Well, let’s just say that he did really well! See, for YEARS I’ve been trying to track down “Professor Layton and the Curious Village” for my DS. I read about the game back when I used to get Nintendo Power and fell in love before even playing. Problem was I didn’t have the money to buy it when it first came out. In fact, I almost NEVER buy a new game when it first comes out because of how expensive they are. So I was waiting for the game to be old enough that the price would drop. However, the game sold out before that happened, and I couldn’t find a copy since.

The Professor Layton series is up to four games now, and I refused to play any of the other ones without first playing Curious Village. Soon the second game “Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box” became just as hard to find. I guess people just loved the games so much that once they bought them they never traded them back in to the game stores. You can just guess what two DS games I got for Christmas this year.

I’ve been playing “Curious Village” pretty much non-stop since Christmas and I just MAY be at the half way point. I LOVE this game! This series already is in my top three. May have pushed Fable out of the number two spot; depending on how well done the sequels are.

So, again, sorry. I technically HAVE had time to work on this blog post, or beta read, or work on my own story. I’ve just been distracted by video games. Guess that’s what happens when you cut them out completely. Sort of like when you “finish” your diet and just back the pounds right back on because you missed all the food you cut out.

So let’s take this time to figure out this year’s resolutions. Although I didn’t stick with ALL of my resolutions last year, I did manage to use most of them as excellent guide lines, and 2012 was more-or-less a fantastic year because of it. Let’s aim for 2013 to be even better, shall we?

RESOLUTION NUMBER ONE: Improve upon writing style; be it voice, grammar, spelling, speed, consistency, schedule, professionalism, or all of the above.
Practice makes perfect and I’m hoping to have a lot more. I really improved over the last year. Even if I didn’t consistently write my fiction, I almost always hit that Sunday Update Day goal. I need to focus harder on getting updates done on time, as well as being just as consistent with my fiction updates.
I need to take what I learned from this year’s Script Frenzy, and definitely from my first year of NaNo. I'm going to participate in every free-entry writing contest I come across. Starting with a Hey Arnold Valentine's Day contest. Entries need to be in by February 8th. Any suggestions on pairing to write about?
Even when I'm not working on contest entries - ESPECIALLY when I'm not working on contest entries - I need to crack down on scheduling time for my writing instead of “finding” time for it.
Less TV. More Writing!

RESOLUTION NUMBER TWO: Become healthier!
Not a writing resolution, but still an important one. Both becoming healthier and writing consistently seem to have the same principal of goal making. As well as having support and a “buddy” to help you stay motivated. I need to lose a few more pounds, and both Hubby and I still eat like college students. I need to be more active and possibly get Hubby more involved so it is easier for me to stay on track. Hopefully, this will spill over and help me better time manage so I can also write – and have the energy to do so.
Pass me some of that Basil Pesto Hummus if you please!

RESOLUTION NUMBER THREE: Get more organized!
Another one that is seemingly unrelated to writing at first glance. My house is a sty. Completely. I miss one day of cleaning because of this, that, and the other thing. Before I know it, the pile of dishes and laundry are both overwhelming and discouraging. Lo and behold, I then just sit on the couch, moping about how gross our house looks, but don’t actually accomplish anything. Either that or I finally snap and go in to a cleaning frenzy that lasts a full day or two.
If I can stay more organized with the house I’ll find more time to write because I’m not worried about the chores I’m neglecting. I can then just focus. I can also learn how to better avoid being discouraged when the writing piles up. I’ll get in to a more consistent rhythm with everything and that new attitude will certainly spill over in to my writing life.

RESOLUTION NUMBER FOUR: Finish What Is Truly Meant To Be: A Hey Arnold Musical
Including the chapter that has been in the works since the summer, I have eleven left before the conclusion of the story. As long as I can get a chapter out a month – which can be possible if I follow Resolution Number One – and I don’t add any more chapters to the story I can finish up before 2014! I started the story in 2010 so I think three years to finish an 18 chapter fanfic is more than enough time! Sheesh!

RESOLUTION NUMBER FIVE: Work on World Building Gyateara
For those who don't know/remember, Gyateara is the name of the world I created for my NaNo story. It started off as sort of a parody of the world of Albion from the game Fable. However, I've also done a lot of world building for my D&D character Amara. Mostly focusing on one country though. So why not put Albion and the country I created for Amara on the same planet? I sort of touched upon this idea during my last actual post. Gyateara can be this land that most of my High Fantasy stories take place - as well as quite a few D&D campaigns. To accomplish this goal, however, I have to first build Gyateara. It will be a fun project to do throughout 2013.
Maybe I can even do this along side DarkAngel1326 since she seems to be building and even bigger and bigger playground for her story "Of Blood and Honor" - as well as possible accompanying stories.

RESOLUTION NUMBER SIX: Become a better beta reader for my writers
It's pathetic that my writers have to wait days, weeks, or even months before I get around to reading their stuff. How does that help them? Now they're in a holding pattern while their muse and writing drive slips away because I can't find an hour or two to help them out. Then their readers have to wait forever for the update because of my slacking.
ChibiSunnie is such a fantastic beta for me because she's quick! Without a word, she motivates me to work daily so I can send something to her daily since she does such a quick turn around. Her quick responses drive me to keep going. She keeps me in that writing flow. I need to become more like her.
DA constantly praises me as her beta. It's time to become the Awesome Beta she keeps claiming I am!
*Scampers off to finally beta for Devious.Editor and DA*

So there you have it. My six resolutions for 2013. Let's see how well I stick to them!

Honestly, I had so many other blog posts figured out. On Christmas I was going to go on about the presents I made, the awesome ones I got, and all of that jibberjabber I have above about Professor Layton and Kirby was going to be in that long post. Then on Monday I was going to do sort of a Year In Review to reflect on 2012. Then I was going to have this post the following day to talk about my resolutions. So I had to sort of jumble everything together in to one post. I may still do that Year In Review post for Sunday, but then again I might also talk more about the Valentine's Day contest. I guess we'll just see what I feel about writing.

In the meantime... DE and DA both have stories chilling in my mailbox. So I'm off to do some reading!

HAPPY 2013 EVERYONE!
Drawn by DeviantArtist Athyess

No comments:

Post a Comment