Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Methodical Playing and Some Game Missteps

Generated by Bitmoji
Okay, so much for those nice, sunny days helping to inspire me. I'm currently bundled under a blanket in front of my space heater. WE HAD SNOW THIS WEEKEND! Granted, it was a dusting that melted by like 7am, but still, it's the principle of the thing! I also had frost covering my car this morning, so.... yeah. Also also! Hubby and I tried to be good. We went on a small walk Monday. It was just the two of us on the sidewalks, but we STILL wore our masks just to be extra safe, and so we didn't have to fumble them on if someone did walk near us. We have been staying inside unless he's at work or I'm at the laundromat! So, after weeks of behaving ourselves and following guidelines as closely as we could, we ATTEMPTED to get some exercise outside... and we get hailed on.

By the time we got home we were drenched and our hands were frozen. Some of it got in Hubby's eyes, so not only were his glasses completely waterlogged, but hail was dripping all off his eyes. It was a miserable time. This is what we get for trying to go for a walk....

So, back to Animal Crossing, I guess. We'll run around in the sun on our digital islands. Take THAT Nature!

If you haven't figured it out yet, it's been another week of focusing on AC: NH and not much else. I've worked on more masks, of course, so we each have a variety to rotate through and I don't have to wash/Lysol as frequently. I'm still doing tweaks to the designs, and it's still taking FOREVER to hand-sew them, but it's something moderately productive, right?

My other project this week? Well, there's two, both equally tedious and stupidly methodical. The first was that I had created a spreadsheet of the fossils I've dug up and don't need, as well as the DIY cards I've received and already knew. I figured, since my group of friends keep messaging each other anyway about what extra things we have and/or need, might as well make life easier. I also included the last few fossils Hubby and I each needed for our museums, and then sent it to about half-dozen people. I figured that way they know what Hubby and I are looking for, and if there's anything they're looking for they could let me know. Originally I had a "free to take" section of my island, and I still have a fancier looking version of that on my island, but virtually no one besides Hubby visits my island anymore, so instead I thought the spreadsheet would be easier.

After a suggestion from Cyhyr, I created identical tabs for each person I sent the spreadsheet to so they could do the same thing. I also included the K.K. Slider songs Hubby and I had access to so we could send them to the others if they wished. Goob, since he was far enough into the game already, switched out his Fossils Needed - of which there were none left - into Items Desired for items in the game he knew existed, but he didn't have access to yet. It's been an evolving spreadsheet, and I like that it DOES seem to have helped, but there's a dark side to this....

Instead of seven individual Facebook messages passing out the spreadsheet, I have people in group chats, and my local friends have turned it into our own marketplace/Discord server. They are constantly on talking about turnip prices - which is awesome, but it also makes me feel like I HAVE to play the game before noon to get the morning prices, and then back on in the afternoon/evening for the afternoon prices - and listing the new fossils, DIYs, songs, and special NPC visitors they have. Goob and Cy do update their individual tabs on the spreadsheet, but two more local friends haven't bothered. What really gets me is that one in particular is constantly asking if anyone has x-song or y-DIY or need z-fossil, when all of that is listed on the constantly updated spreadsheet.

Knives from the Scott Pilgrim comic books
by Bryan Lee O'Malley
Also, since my local friends are CONSTANTLY going back and forth and opening their gates for visits and flower-watering assists and the like, I feel obligated to be on both Facebook and the game ALL DAY, which is... a bit much. Even for me. Plus, sometimes I just want to be on my island so I can harvest and craft and update my layout and casually fish. Ya know?

Yesterday I was on long enough to harvest my rocks, shake my trees, find my fossils - and I didn't even find them all - check my turnip prices, and complete my x2 Nook Miles tasks (not that I need it; I have about 70,000 Nook Miles). That's it. Probably an hour or so all day, which, is kind of the "bare minimum" for dailies. I haven't even checked yet how many messages I missed in the chat by not bringing Facebook up at all yesterday.

So that project has kind of taken a life of its own, and has become mildly overwhelming, but it's keeping a community going between my friends, and it seems to help everyone. So I'm glad I did it.

The other project? While it allows me to just take some solo time, it has become PAINFULLY tedious. Literally. Sitting on the loveseat - which is losing support over the years - with my laptop either on the cushion next to me or on the card table, which is a TOUCH too tall for the loveseat, for hours on end as I play in the living room has been KILLING my shoulders, neck, and back. I have to take frequent breaks, but that's probably for the better since being on the loveseat and playing video games for hours on end isn't the healthiest thing on the planet.

What have I been doing though? Well, after Fang moved to my island last week, I hit my max capacity of 10 villagers plus me. I still have to replace Chops with a different Smug, and Hubby has the replacement's Amiibo card already on the way. I also need to figure out what to do with Elmer. He's already a duplicate Lazy personality, and once I get my replacement Smug he'll also be a duplicate horse. Alternatively, the Lazy I wanted as my actual duplicate would be Erik the deer, but Fuchsia is also a deer, so I'd have a duplicate anyway? Another option would be to lean hard on the Beastars joke I have with Tiffany and Fang - especially since Fang does look like Legoshi, wears a red jogging jacket, like Legoshi does, when he works out, and I just gave him a blue sweater-vest top that looks like Legoshi's school uniform - and add in a "Louie". There don't seem to be any red deer in Animal Crossing, with the closest option being Erik the reindeer. However, there IS a Smug deer named Lopez. He looks more like an antelope to me, but he IS smug, and his starter outfit/poster pose are very reminiscent of Louie. It would STILL be a duplicate deer though, and a duplicate Smug. Not sure where I want to go with that.
Generated by Bitmoji
Point is, I now have all of the house plots filled, and even if I switch out villagers, they will just move in to those pre-established plots. Which means the next step is to pretty up and organize my town a bit better. On my island there is this part that is kind of a peninsula created by the river cutting through the center of my island, going west to east. When I was first tasked to set up the 3 new plots in order to unlock the campgrounds, I put the plots on that peninsula. I didn't figure out how to create a grid via digging holes yet, so the houses are a bit off-center of each other, and they are so closely packed you can't really see one behind the other. I kind of hated it the moment I saw the houses actually go up. Still, I added Mitzi's house to the bottom of the column as a means of tying in Fuchsia's and Biff's homes into a kind of reverse L-shaped neighborhood. Didn't have enough space for Tiffany's, Elmer's, or Fang's houses though. Let alone Chops' house currently hidden in the mountain as I tried to shun him into leaving my island. There just isn't enough space for all ten homes there.

I've seen some really pretty neighborhoods between visiting friends' islands, Hubby's island, and seeing gaming streams. I want to rework everything, but I have to kind of move the houses away from where I want the neighborhood to be in order for me to then move them BACK in the more organized manner I was originally aiming for. Each move is 50,000 bells. Not that big for me since my house is fully upgraded and the loan is payed off, so I now have nearly 4million bells in savings. Still, that's 500,000 to move all of the houses, and then another 500,000 to move them back. Plus, each move takes a day to complete. That's one-million bells and 20 days to get everything set the way I want them. I do NOT want to delay the neighborhood build any further by screwing it up and having to shift things AGAIN. I want to make sure it's right the first time.

So I've been trying to map out my island with painstaking detail and scaling. That way I can manipulate that map first to make sure everything will look alright. Also, that way I can figure out how much more terraforming I need to do, how much I need to thin out my fruit orchard, and where to put the 3 houses of My Girls so I can finally create side-accounts for each of them and bring them in... for flavor and some fun.

I mean, I already re-designed my character a few times to give kind of prototypes of what I can do for The Girls. Still need some work, but I have a base idea at least.
Lia
Willow
Trish
Ya know, I never before noticed how close to "two sides of the same coin" I made Lia and Trish....

Anyway, the process of making that map I told you about has been.... rough. Trying to figure out the gridding and spacing of the island, what parts you can build on, which ones you can't, which ones you can't build on but can still place things on, etc., has been TEDIOUS. I've worked on this project off-and-on for probably close to 10hrs this week, and this is my progress:
For reference, this is a slightly older screen grab of the island map as seen in the game.
Digging holes to create a grid, and then counting, and color changing to match the map, and adding new colors for things like beach you can stand on, but can't dig/place items on, or stone inaccessible along coastline... it's.... it's a LOT.
Generated by Bitmoji
I got this, though. It may take me until the end of May to complete, and then it may take the entirety of June to actually have my neighborhood properly set up, but it at least gives me something to work on daily, right? And I'm sure it will be worth it when I'm finally happy with how it looks.

Two more things before signing off for the week. First, poor Fang must have woken up on the wrong side of the bed on the 8th, because I caught two different conversations he had with villagers, and I'm beginning to figure out why he's considered a cranky personality.

To be fair, though, I was on Fang's side in both conversations.

First up was his conversation with Chops. Now, again, Chops is the Smug villager that was my first camper and auto-moved in. I am not a fan of the hair he has - both the slicked down hairstyle and his mustache - or the outfit he defaults to, or his catchphrase of Zoink, or the music he listens to in his house, or how pompous he is with his random French insert-words and constant talking about himself. I mean, Graham did that too, but it was only on occasion. Chops seems to do it all. The. Time. Also, out of the dozen or so times I've checked to see what DIYs he's working on, I think there have only been like 2 or 3 that I either didn't already know or actually liked the look of the project. So I'm not even getting good crafting projects from him. Literally the only things I like about this character are his personalized home layout and the adorable way the pig characters' ears flop when they turn their head.
Chops official
artwork
So, again, I totally get where Fang is coming from here. Also, quick pre-cursor, in an attempt to get Chops to decide to move, I tried gifting him things I didn't think he'd like. Smug characters are people-pleasers though, so he's loved everything I've handed him. Especially this moldy dress I found in the recycling bin at Resident Services....


Same, Fang, same. I mean, for whatever reason when the Lazy characters like Ozzie or Stitches comment about how they organize their snacks by "mouthfeel" it seems endearing, but when Chops does it? It just FEELS creepy. It's like how normally I don't mind the words "lick" or even "moist", but after watching the infamous Cherry Scene in JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders, I now shudder whenever Hubby purposefully says the word "lick" similarly.
Character created by Hirohiko Araki
So, yeah, something about Chops and his delivery is equally creepy when he uses the term "mouthfeel." Like I said, I'm with Fang, but he DID seem a bit aggressive in his response.

Similarly, there was this interaction later that day between him and Tiffany. This has such big Beastars energy to it too...


Coy Tiffany not really pulling her punches, is she?

 Sorry, Tiff, but I find him absolutely adorable, and he can't fix how deep his voice is. It's just rude to say otherwise. He's not scary, just... intense... sometimes.
Do I sense a hint of sarcasm there, Tiffany? I mean, fair, he WAS right up in her face a moment ago.

So... yeah... I'm beginning to see the Cranky personality in Fang, but he's still so adorable, and I am on his side most of the time, so....
Generated by Bitmoji
Anyway, the last thing I wanted to talk about is how unintentionally tone-deaf this game seems to have become in light of the pandemic that enticed most of us to play in the first place.

First is the fact that one of the reactions - emojis, basically - you are taught is the sneeze reaction. Worse yet is how you learn it. For a reminder, Biff was the one who taught me... but sprinting up to my character and sneezing on me. Twice. Shortly followed by this interaction.
Biff: "Some think sneezing is contagious, but that's not true, right?
Why are you making that face, squirt?"
Game Narration: I learned the Sneezing Reaction!
Wah-CHOO!
There is also a comment the Snooty characters tend to deliver quite frequently. The first time I experienced it was with Hubby's Snooty character Greta the mouse, and during a rainstorm, no less. The members of Outside Xtra, however, just experienced this line this past week or so. And, well, I'll let their expressions speak for themselves.
From Ellen's Twitter account
And then, not even a week later, over on Luke's stream.
Whoops. For those who might not be able to read it, the Snooty characters tell you "Island life is so invigorating! Staying inside all day would be a terrible waste."

Also, just a reminder that Ellen has had health issues - non-COVID related - that had her in-and-out of the hospital a lot of January and February, and she's immunocompromised, so she's been mandated by the NHS to stay indoors - not even go out into her family's yard/garden - until June! Aaaand then she gets that message in the game she uses to escape. Poor thing.

If those aren't bad enough, on the 7th I had this interaction with my Peppy character Maddie. Now, the Peppy characters are a little ditzy and tend to focus on finding ways of becoming famous. Most of them wish to become popstars. That's where this dialogue comes in.


Maddie, hun, that is NOT the kind of publicity you want. ESPECIALLY right now. Also... that's not what "going viral" is supposed to mean....

So, um, yeah...
Generated by Bitmoji
Maybe the next update of the game will help with some of those missteps...

Anyway, how have all of you been? I know not everyone has been on lockdown, so I hope you are all trying to stay safe and well.
Generated by Bitmoji

No comments:

Post a Comment