Tuesday, July 17, 2018

One More to Go?

Well, I have good news and bad news. Or good news and mediocre news? Good news and more good news? I guess it just depends on your perspective on the situation.

Let's start with the definitely good news part: I managed to get the next chapter of “Peeping Tomcat” done and posted this past Friday! It wasn't by my normal 8:30am slot, but it was still Friday! A little past noon isn't THAT late in the grand scheme of things. So... YAY!

FanFiction         ArchiveOfOurOwn         DeviantArt

As for the questionable news, you may have noticed that I referred to chapter 15 as “the next chapter,” not “the final chapter.” That's because this chapter became more massive than I originally anticipated. I already mentioned this last week, but I had way more subplots than I gave myself credit for. There was no way I was going to resolve them all in just one chapter. As it is, I finished this chapter with over 7500 words!

So, instead, I finished off as many subplots as I could manage, while also setting up what I needed in order to tie up the rest. I knew I had to at least wrap up the “aftermath” of Adrien getting the soup. I also had to resolve the new Chat Noir Appreciation event I had created in chapter 14. That's actually where I really came into my largest issue.

As I mentioned last week, I was stuck having to make an akuma despite my best efforts. He only made a cameo in this chapter, but he still needed to be figured out, and I need to sort through the full attack for the NEXT chapter.

Another big thing I wanted to make sure was sorted before the close of the story - and I thought this chapter was the best time to do it - was the resolution of Adrien and Gabriel's relationship. I mentioned last week that this is more-or-less the catalyst of the whole story, so I wanted to make sure it had changed by the end of the story. And changed it did. It's not a massive permanent change, but it's steps in the right direction.

I still have to resolve the following subplots:
  1. Adrien finding the messages from Ladybug for Chat Noir before she resorted to the video
  2. Chat Noir and Ladybug interacting for the first time since Terravenger
  3. Defeating Gremlin
  4. Chat Noir and Ladybug having a good heart-to-heart
  5. Adrien picking up Marinette's portfolio
  6. Adrien officially deciding to try to woo Marinette as Chat Noir before confessing as Adrien that he likes her, and confessing as Chat Noir that he spied.
I don't think I forgot anything.... hopefully...

I do have to say that I enjoyed the fact that my Tumblr post alerting everyone to the extra chapters has 5 likes.

Oh yeah! If you read that post you might have noticed a depressing bit of info: my NaNo thumb drive bracelet got completely corrupted. Of COURSE I was distracted on Monday, so I had done everything on the thumb drive file instead of on my netbook and then saving over the thumb drive file. Sooooo, when my thumb drive corrupted I lost EVERYTHING on it. Including the 4hrs worth of work I had done on Monday. In even sadder news, I formatted the thumb drive to reset it to factory default, and yet a file STILL got corrupted. I tried to open a file last night, and it was all sorts of "nope." Luckily, it seems to be just the one file this time, and it's something that IS on my netbook, so I didn't lose it. However, it seems to be signs pointing to my thumb drive being on its last legs. Saddest news yet: NaNoWriMo doesn't seem to make the thumb drive bracelets anymore. Unless I can find one on ebay or something, I'm never going to be able to replace it. Maybe I can find just the memory stick and switch it out with what came with the bracelet?

Anyway, if you couldn't tell, it was a frantic week for me. I wasn't sure what was going to become of this most recent chapter, but I got there! I got it done, and I think I'm happy with how it came out. The reviews pouring in seemed favorable enough.

Just the first 24hours had the following stats; about par for the course.
FFN: 844 views, 1 fave, 4 followers, and 4 reviews
AO3: 245 views, 6 kudos, and 3 comments
DA: 6 views

Total Results: 1095 views, 7 faves, 4 followers, and 7 reviews

Tumblr Notes: 3 likes

Reviews:
  1. Seriously, I was kinda expecting that to be a false Akuma to trip them up into showing but if it's a real one ...claws out!
  2. I'm so freaking happy that we get another chapter or two! this one was awesome! looking forward to the next!
(from marauderluverz)
  3. Oh.. it was Friday 13th? Wow didn't notice... my bad. Some bad luck for Chat
  4. oh my gosh! I can't wait to see more!
(from cassy1994)
  5. I'm excited! What a fantastic story! You are such an exceptional writer!
  6. You take all the chapters you need! We will enjoy every word of it. Thanks for such an amazing story!
  7. This was a fun chapter. I'm so glad to see Adrien cheering up and can't wait to see how you wrap things up.
I'm not sure really how to take that "bad luck for Chat" review, but I'm super happy about the others. So many exclamation points!

Oh, and that "You are such an exceptional writer" review? After I responded - because I try to respond to all reviews - I got this follow up:
I'm pretty selective about what fan fiction I read. When I find an exceptional writer, it's in my best interest to say so in order to keep a steady supply of quality work. ;-)
I'm blushing! I'm like, legit blushing! How did I get such awesome readers? Seriously?

It gets better though. Here it is, a few days later, and the stats just blew me away!
FFN: 1671 views, 4 faves, 12 followers! and 6 reviews
AO3: 421 views, 18 kudos, 1 bookmark, and 5 comments
DA: 8 views and 1 fave

Total Results: 2100 views, 23 faves, 13 followers, and 11 reviews!

Tumblr Notes: 13 likes, 2 reblogs

Reviews:
  1. Adrien, staring at Marinette: "Am I staring at her?? Nahhh"
(comment on chapter 7)
  2. Eeeeeee! I love this so much haha. I am super happy right now. :D
            -The other two comments are semi-lengthy. See below.-
I'm- I'm just- I- WOW! First of all, THIRTEEN FOLLOWERS!? I know I've gotten that many, and more, in the past, but it's the tail end of the story, and it's been a few single-digit-weeks in a row. So I'm again humbled that I brought in that many new followers on FFN. This week is also in the top four most viewed over on AO3. My views on both FFN and AO3 practically doubled in just 4 days! It is by far the most views I have received on FFN in one week. Therefore, this week is easily my top-viewed.

Now, for those "lengthy" reviews:
unholyconspiracy: I am OBSESSED with this story! To be honest it's the best fanfic I've ever read. You're just such a good author, capturing the characters perfectly and adding even more depth to them in your own way. The fact that you admit to have rewritten these chapters several times also proves your devotion and professionalism. I absolutely love it, waiting for the grand finale! Keep it up.
I could have cried! This was so sweet. I didn't really know how to respond at first. Also, I'm pleasantly surprised that my admission to multiple drafts made me seem professional. I mean, as I thought about it, I guess it's true: taking the time to edit multiple drafts instead of going "it's written; let's throw it up." However, I never thought of it that way before. I seriously was commenting on the multiple drafts because I hoped it would help encourage other writers. If they thought my story was so good, but knew it kept a few drafts to get there - I didn't just write that well the first go - maybe it would remind them that they could write that well too. They just need practice and persistence.

Well, if Conspiracy didn't make me cry, MMJ was right there to try to push me over the edge.
Malfoy Mouth James- MMJ: Ok so, you keep asking if you’re getting the characters right, and so I thought I’d say that honestly this is some of the best fanfiction work I have EVER read. It’s sooooo good and entertaining, and it never misses a beat! Not to mention that there’s the perfect amount of detail- not too much where it’s annoying but just enough to get a good picture of the scene and a wonderful flow in the story. I’ve only read one other fanfiction for this show, but yours iss waaaaay better! You got the characters down to a POINT. like, reading this feels like I’m watching the show again! It’s like, reading the scripts or something but with more detail. I think your Marinette is wonderful, and even better than your Adrien and that’s saying something major. Alya and Nino are also 101% on the mark. You’re doing great, keep it up!
I'd like to note that MMJ posted this review after reading the third chapter. I don't know if they've read all the way through the story yet, and/or if they still feel the same now that they have, but it still is super sweet. I am so glad that my studying of the show has paid off. I try so hard to keep everyone as close to canon as possible. It does my heart good to know that I succeeded.

Have I mentioned yet that my readers are the best? Because you guys totally are!
Hacker Girl Facebook sticker
by Birdman, Inc
Hacker Girl Facebook sticker
by Birdman, Inc
I've been slacking off though. On Friday I edited chapter 15 of PT, but I haven't written anything since. I need to really get back to work. I have at least one more chapter to write, a sequel to finish outlining, and 8700+ words to write in order to catch up with where I "should" be for Camp NaNo. I also have a long trip this weekend. I'm visiting my family again since my cousin is flying out from across the country. I'll have to try to get my weekly writing done before all of that!

I should get started on my main writing. Until next week!
Hacker Girl Facebook sticker
by Birdman, Inc

No comments:

Post a Comment