Tuesday, July 7, 2020

I Get the Hamilton Hype

Happy Belated Treason Day. 
Generated by Bitmoji
Powered by apple pie
This past Saturday was American Independence Day, and I totally forgot to mention it in my last blog. Whoops. Also forgot to send out a happy Canada Day for my neighbors up north. So, happy birth of your nation, as well.

My holiday was mostly uneventful. Hubby was too worn from work - and it was too hot out for him anyway - for us to bother having a barbecue with his dad, so we just kind of chilled at home. I spent most of my day trying out the new summer features in Animal Crossing: New Horizons as well as FINALLY getting my island's flower infestation somewhat under control.

The way flower growth works in this game is that new flowers won't spawn unless watered. However, if it rains, something like 40 or 50 new flowers - depending on your flower placement - will sprout. It's been raining on my island nearly daily for WEEKS, and, with only a couple of hours per night to play now, I don't have the time to uproot the surplus flowers, so the whole thing became a bit out-of-hand. Another little hint at how bad it got: each flower is 32 bells - the game's currency - when deposited into the store drop-box. I think I earned darn near 5000 bells after selling MOST - not all - of my surplus flowers. The rest I used to fill in surface space of different sections of my island - such as a mini-island I have in the center of my rivers, which I have dubbed Flower Isle, and the clifftop I've been using to breed hybrid flowers - so that there is literally nowhere for new flowers to spawn except for the few spaces I purposefully left open for potential hybrids.

Anyway, that was pretty much my Saturday. That, and Hubby and I singing various songs from Hamilton. Thanks to Disney+ Hubby and I were FINALLY able to see the musical. I must say, I get the hype. However, the songs I more-or-less knew going into the show, the ones that were always sung on late-night talk shows to promote the show, or that everyone quotes online - "Alexander Hamilton", "My Shot", "Right Hand Man", and "In the Room Where it Happens" - were the ones stuck in my head least after the musical was through.

Personally, my favorites are the three King George songs, and Eliza's song "Helpless." Quick aside, hearing Jonathan Groff sing as King George made me all the more mad that Kristoff didn't have more songs in the two Frozen movies. Anyway, I also really enjoyed "Washington on Your Side." Also, while watching the show, I first started crying during the song "That Would be Enough," and lost it again at "It's Quiet Uptown." I mean, I know there were other tear-jerker moments, but those were my two big ones.

So, yeah, that was our weekend: watching Hamilton Friday night, and then singing the songs ever since while trying to catch up on island maintenance in AC:NH. Real productive, right?
Happy 4th, from Ghetta Way
The work week has been a bit crazy between projects for the company, figuring out website issues, helping customers for hours on end, and prepping for the next sale which starts this upcoming weekend.

On top of all of that, the past three days I've had a terrible pain in my lower back/behind my right hip. It coincides with, and, for the most part, overtaking my normal menstrual cramping - sorry for any who feel skeeved out reading stuff like that, but let's normalize menstration already, shall we? - so I'm gonna see if it finally eases up in a day or two when I should be done menstruating. In the meantime, though, movement has been very limited, and I've been spending a lot more time laying on pillows in the bedroom.

Not really the best week to try to hit the reset button and attempt writing again. I'm glad I didn't bother signing up for Camp NaNoWriMo this year, because I don't need the added depression of failing another NaNo horribly. Especially since I'd STILL be working on One and the Same, which I wanted to publish September... DECEMBER, at the latest... of 2018.

Just call me George R.R. Martin.... Or, maybe, Hamilton...
From the song "Your Obedient Servant"
Nah... Hamilton wrote almost relentlessly. I might be long-winded like him, but I'm definitely more of a Martin in regards to my actual production speed....

I did find time to read more of Dressed to Confess and In the Dark by zenmisery. Both have fluff and angst in the latest chapters and she killed me with both stories.

I've also been working through the tedious task of trying to organize the hundreds of screen grabs I took the first few weeks of playing AC:NH before I found a MicroSD card to save the images to. Once I started doing that, it was easy to organize the pictures and videos. They all go in a specific date folder when created. The only snafu is that when I make screenshots from videos the pictures save to the date folder on the day they were created; not the day the video was recorded unless it's the same day. Small issue that I can work around.

The early pictures though? I have those by uploading to Facebook and then downloading again. At first, I spent HOURS uploading to Facebook in groups of 5 at a time - the max the Switch allowed - and then downloading them to my computer, and then looking at the date stamp on the Switch file to re-name and organize the image on my computer. It was tedious, and one day I totally blanked out on what I was doing and deleted the images as soon as they were on Facebook, instead of after I organized them on my laptop.

So now I have images I'm trying to figure out when I took them based on the outfit my character is wearing, cross-referencing some images with date stamps on them, and looking for progression of things like flowers blooming in the background to see which photos came first.
Tanuki Facebook sticker
by Yanare Ku
It's tedious work that I really don't NEED to be doing, but I also love seeing the progression of my game in photo form - my early-days pictures remind me how EMPTY the island used to be! - and so I do enjoy having each picture date-stamped for future reference.

But, yeah, that's what I've been up to. What about you fine folks?

No comments:

Post a Comment