Tuesday, August 27, 2019

Ramblings About Spoilers (And Some Stuff About My Writing Too)

In truth, I'm not entirely sure what I did this past week. I haven't been feeling well, which means I've been neglecting my time audits. Always when I need them the most to figure out what the heck I did with my life is when I'm too "bleh" to remember to do them.

Awesome.
Generated by Bitmoji
I'm so good at this whole "Adulting" thing, guys.

Out of what I DO remember, this was my week:
  • Go to work for the past six days straight
  • Attempt to write and fail more often than not
  • Power through the second half of the final season of Steven Universe
  • Overwhelm ChibiSunnie with walls of text about Fruits Basket Another and Steven Universe
  • Responding to a week's worth of Chibi's replies and own gushing about mangas she's into
  • FINALLY getting back to messaging TLOS21 after I accidentally ghosted the poor dear MONTHS ago
None of that is necessarily in order.

I think the big thing was the Steven Universe bit. Hubby and I had a couple of binge nights throughout the week, even though we still would have had this week to finish the show off before the TV movie premiered. That last day, though?
Generated by Bitmoji
We started the show up as a way to wind down our evening. The timing was near-perfect for us to stop at midnight. It would have been like 12:06 or something random like that by the time the episode ended.

Except, it was a precursor to an episode I knew was going to happen, and one that was kind of major for the fans, from what I gathered via Tumblr posts and talking with Chibi. It was also the episode where the the show's creator Rebecca Sugar went a bit passive-aggressive. See, the show has a strong focus on lesbian relationships, among other key things. While some of those relationships could be reworked to be presented as "really close friends" or "family" - basically the same treatment Sailor Moon got State-side in the 90s - there was one couple where you couldn't deny that they were together. They kiss and hug and swing each other around... they were clearly a couple. Some countries, trying to rework this fact to hide a lesbian relationship, reworked one of the characters as male since she had a more masculine personality and style. Rebecca was NOT happy with this decision, and decided to throw a monkey wrench into those re-works.

I won't say more because of spoilers, but it was a glorious show of passive-aggressiveness, and I assumed it would be the next episode in the line-up. They are only 10min long episodes, so Hubby and I decided "Meh, one more." Except there was actually a sort of interlude episode. The NEXT episode would be the one I was waiting for.

"One more?"
"One more."

Buuuuuut, the one I was waiting for turned out to be a double episode: 20minutes. Okay. No big. So we go to bed at 12:30. Lots of adults do that.

Except I didn't know the episode I was waiting for would be the one that also flung us into the final act of the series. I should have seen that coming, in hindsight...

Cliffhanger after cliffhanger after cliffhanger... next thing I know, we're finishing up the 40min finale episode and going to bed at like 2am!

Sheesh!

But, hey, I enjoyed an awesome show finally. I got to watch the most epic portions of it with my hubby. He was annoying and called all the major "twists" the show concluded with. Darn his masterful observation and deduction powers!

Also, guys! GUYS! There is a BEHEMOTH of a character in that finale called Obsidian, and I LOVE her!
If Lia were a Steven Universe Gem instead of an X-Men mutant, then I could TOTALLY see this as her design... maybe with fewer arms... but... yeah! Maybe I'll rethink Lia's hair so it's more like hot smoke. I mean, Te Ka from Moana had a similar look.
Another good reference for Lia in her Obsidian form. In my reworking of Lia for Glitches I DO have her has half-Hawaiian, so maybe an homage art styling to Disney's Te Ka would be appropriate.

It might also help me make her seem less like the X-Men canonical character Magma - who, in X-Future, is Lia's mom - if I made Lia look more like a human volcano and less like the female version of the Human Torch.
Johnny "Human Torch" Storm from Fantastic Four
Amara "Magma" Aquilla from X-Men
Now, I tried making Lia look less like her mom by having her cover her magma form with a "skin" of obsidian; hence the codename. However, Lia still has her hair turn into flames when she powers up. I'm not much of an artist, so these are the best renderings I have of my vision.
Left Design: mostly artwork from ChaZie doll
designers, and then doctored in Photoshop
Right Design: Completely done in X-Girl
doll maker by Candy's World
After seeing the design of the Steven Universe Obsidian, and comparing her to Te Ka, I'm thinking the smoke-cloud hair could actually work better for Lia. Especially since the comic book versions of both Johnny Storm and Amara Aquilla are blondes. It just seems natural for light colored hair to become flame-like. Meanwhile, Te Ka is part of Hawaiian culture, and most Hawaiians have brunette hair. It seems just as natural for brunette hair to become smoke-like. Lia happens to be brunette....

I'm going to have to re-think Lia's Obsidan Form art design for Glitches....

Generated by Bitmoji
Back on topic. So I completed my watch of Steven Universe. That means I was also able to finally get to the Overly Sarcastic Productions' Trope Talk about Plot Twists. I have to say, while I was fairly certain I knew MOST of the spoilers for SU already, I'm glad I didn't chance watching the Trope Talk before finishing the series.

It was a kind of major twist, and while said twist now entices me to go though a second viewing of the whole series - as long as that is - in order to see the clues sprinkled throughout, at the same time I'm glad THAT twist wasn't spoiled for me. After having an emotional investment in the series, to have THAT rug pulled outside of the narrative would have pissed me off.

Sure, there's the argument - one that Red brings up in her Trope Talk - that if a story is ruined by being spoiled, then it was a poorly written story. This was a big talking point around the spoilers embargo for "Avengers: Endgame". Like, people were literally beaten up for announcing spoilers for the movie. So the critique became: "if you find out a spoiler and decide the story's no longer worth consuming, then it was probably a poorly written story in the first place." Mainly because it means knowing that twist takes away the enjoyment of the story; detracting from any form of second viewing.

HOWEVER, there are twists that ADD to the second viewing because it gives you something to look out for. Red states that these are "well done" plot twists; the kind that enhances the story. I argue that it sucks to have THOSE spoiled for you just as much as the "bad writing" plot twists; the ones in there just for the initial shock value.

Red explains that being spoiled something that is a good plot twist will just sort of launch you into the "second viewing" mindset of "I already know this twist but..." as you still enjoy the suspense - or the suspense is kicked up a notch due to your knowledge - or as you pick up the breadcrumbs leading to the twist.

For instance, there are a LOT of these "retroactive" plot twists in the show Futurama. Two major ones are actually revealed in the 4th season, even though there were hints about it all throughout the series. One reveal was so ingrained in the overarching story of the show - even though it was never even HINTED that there was a deeper meaning to it - that if you go back to the VERY FIRST EPISODE, and know what you're looking for, the reveal is there! It wasn't something that was retroactively added in for a flashback sequence to explain this random plot twist, IT WAS THERE IN THE FIRST EPISODE, JUST WAITING TO BE REVEALED!

FOUR SEASONS LATER!

Likewise, the second reveal also had breadcrumbs from at LEAST the second season, if you knew what to look for. That's another three years of dropping hints before the reveal. The best part is, while both reveals did kinda-sorta change characters' outlooks on their lives, it didn't change the overall story of the show. It wasn't a "trajectory" twist that drastically redirects the show plot for the rest of the series; or the rest of the movie....

Knowing those reveals actually makes the story more fun as you try to pick up on those clues upon your watch. So, in that regard, I think I agree that finding out a spoiler shouldn't ruin the overall experience. Instead, it tweaks it to a potentially better one as it forces you into that "second viewing" mindset.

HOWEVER, my counter-argument is that it only really works with those retroactive-twist spoilers, but not trajectory-twist spoilers.

Sure, a trajectory twist - or the "character reveal" twists that are usually both retroactive twists and trajectory twists - should still be done well enough that knowing it doesn't ruin the whole story, otherwise, what is the point of re-watching/re-reading/re-playing the story?

Most of the examples I can think of off the top of my head are character reveal twists, but we'll go with it.
  • Knowing who Keyser Soze is won't ruin the re-watch value of "The Usual Suspects."
  • Knowing who the titular "Twilight Princess" is won't ruin the video game.
  • Knowing the full story about the Crystal Gems rebellion against Pink Diamond - the Steven Universe spoiler Red had used - doesn't ruin the re-watch value of the series.
  • Knowing who is the masked leader of the terrorist group in "The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel" or, similarly, the masked leader of the terrorist group in "Fire Emblem: Three Houses" - Hubby has a thing for RPGs with masked terrorist group leaders, apparently - doesn't ruin the re-play value of those games.
  • Knowing who Darth Vader is in "Star Wars" doesn't ruin any of the re-watches of it.
  • Knowing the truth about what the world of Psyren is - in the same named manga series - doesn't stop you from wanting to re-read it.
  • Knowing the truth about what the Assassin's Creed games are about doesn't ruin the re-play value, nor does it detract from future games in the franchise.
HOWEVER. While these are all well-written trajectory plot twists, I would STILL hate to have known them ahead of time. I still would have HATED having them spoiled - which is why I'm so glad I waited before watching that Trope Talk.

Because, while the story isn't ruined by knowing, and it may actually be ENHANCED with the knowledge of those twists, getting those twists spoiled still ruins the EXPERIENCE of going in blind. You don't feel that initial reaction that the writer wanted for you. That shock. That awe. That gut-punch. That "wait! what!?"

Being spoiled on a well written plot twist - usually a trajectory twist - takes something from you, and that's why I'm trying harder to either avoid posting spoilers on this blog, or at least marking/hiding them. I know, I've been accidentally spoiled on a lot of things that took away that initial impact, and I'm super bummed about it.

Speaking of: pro-tip for anyone watching "Miraculous Ladybug" and either haven't gotten to season 3 yet, or just started it. Avoid watching the episode "Party Crasher". It aired terribly out of order and spoils new Miraculous wielders.

So... anyway.... those were my rambling thoughts about spoilers and why I'll continue to want spoiler tags for things.

Let's move along to the real reason you guys are here: my writing.

In that regard, I kinda sorta have good news?

I don't have anything posted yet. I still need to finish and polish. And this might be one of the few times I read something to my writing group before publishing it. I use the limited critiques I get from them for future writing; a means to grow and adapt. However, it's rare that I use the critiques for the actual story I've read, because said story has already been posted online. In some occasions, the story has been up for months before I get to read it at group.

We'll see how it goes. First, I have to finish writing/editing the story before group tonight. That is the trick, considering it kept me until I had a night alone at home on Friday - I just haven't been able to really focus at work this week - to finally got some words on paper; so to speak.

About two hours and five pages worth of writing.
Generated by Bitmoji
I had finally gotten around to working on my Gabriel and Emilie story.

Originally, it was going to be a one-shot in the same universe as Stranger in a White Dress, and set it up as a series, like I did with the It's You universe. Then I thought I'd do something similar to What Is Truly Meant To Be, and create a love story where each chapter relates to a different song. The first chapter would be "Play Me Like A Violin" by Stephen and the second chapter - the writing I did on Friday, and continued a little bit yesterday - would be based on "I Don't Care (acoustic)" by Ed Sheeran. However, the more I wrote, the slower the progress got with the relationship. I was perfectly okay with that, but it meant I barely covered even the first verse of "I Don't Care" within my story. I mean, that's fine too, since "Stranger in a White Dress" is more of the FEELING of "Play Me Like a Violin" as opposed to a narration of the story told in the song.

Still. The more I wrote "I Don't Care" and the more I got into the slow build of their relationship, the more I realized how much the song didn't just talk about this ONE MOMENT in their romance. The feel of "Play Me Like a Violin" very much encompasses the initial attraction the two had for each other, in my mind. However, it's a story about a whirlwind romance, of physical attraction without truly getting to know each other. The story told in "I Don't Care" - the song, not my writing - is about a strong connection with someone; being able to do things otherwise thought impossible or uncomfortable, simply because the love of your life is beside you.

That's not just a chapter in Gabriel and Emilie's life. That is their whole romance.

So, I'll have to rework and retweak a few things, and I want to alter a part in "Stranger in a White Dress" before officially posting it as "chapter 1" of this story. As of right now, the overall story will be called "I Don't Care" which works as a nod to both the song that inspired it, and to the couple's attitude towards hardships while they're together, as well as a painful reminder of Gabriel's thoughts after Emilie is taken from him.

Really, the only hesitation I have with posting this new story as a chapter instead of a short story within the same universe as SiaWD, is that if it's a multi-chapter story, then people will be expecting updates on it. I know I will post more chapters as I become inspired to talk more about the couple's doomed relationship. However, I have no clue how frequently those inspirations will strike. I mean, it's been over a year since I wrote SiaWD.

Also... I still have OatS to work on, so switching focus to this new story, instead of letting new chapters pop up whenever, seems like a disservice to OatS and the readers waiting for it. Especially since I'm not the type of person who can split focus on a massive project like these in order to progress them simultaneously. I just don't want my readers to see me posting a new multi-chapter story, and have it not be OatS AGAIN. I already did that to them twice with "Woven Heartstrings" and "Prescription for Love." I feel like I'm just teasing them now.

On the flipside, maybe they'll just appreciating having SOMETHING new from me to read. Plus, using this Gabriel/Emilie story as sort of a palate cleanser whenever OatS is running me into a wall might be just what I need to finally finish that massive work.

So, here's to adaptability, and hope it helps get me back on track with my writing.

Until next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment